Selvasannidhi Murugan Kovil circa 1981.
Guru Gama Objectives
Guru Gama is conceived as a pilot project for a system of education that teaches integration and harmony with the individual's
environment. We plan to teach how to understand, conserve and use the environment as a valuable resource. With this in mind we propose:
- To establish the first Guru Gama or Elders' Teaching Community where village elders and teachers will train young people in traditional lore.
- To encourage the students to contribute as staff to both Living Heritage and other eco-tourism ventures with a similar focus on the social, cultural, and physical environments, carefully balancing minimal activities of persons from the outside with traditional village life.
- To give priority student admission to the Guru Gama to young people who have been displaced by the war.
- To establish a regular Living Heritage program of traditional activities according to the village calendar, to which we will allow the guests of other Eco-tourism ventures to participate.
- To develop programs with young people nominated by specific villages that wish to conserve their traditional life style.
- To consider the Guru Gama at Koslanda as a pilot project that can be replicated in a short period of time in conflict devastated areas.